Sunday, September 26, 2010

Menil Museum Writing Assignment

A. The most enjoyable thing I saw at the museum was a painting by Andy Warhol titled "Lavender Disaster". I have always loved Andy Warhol's usage of color in his work. I enjoyed how his subject(the electric chair) is dark and disturbing yet he uses lavender as the light area's color which is usually associated with softer/lighter occasions. I think the compliment of these things being so different captures the viewer.

B.The most disturbing thing I saw was a traditional African piece. it was a hair comb with a tiki/animal/tribal character holding what looked to be  it's child upside down appearing to be preparing to eat the child. Anything eating it's children is disturbing to anyone.

C. The metal processional cross is something that I could make the history and meaning of it and its religion is important to me as well as interesting.

D.The statue of the man's business suit made out of metal with no man in it just a bird cage with a metal bird in it was very interesting to me because it was eerie in a kind of way that a thriller movie is even though it gives off a scary/dangerous vibe it makes you want to know more.

E. I really enjoyed how the Richmond building fit it's art in it very well. the arrangement of the lights in coordination with the size of the room were very inspiring to me

No comments:

Post a Comment